With many beautiful creatures and feathers to fill the skies sometimes you just want to fill in your living space’s limelight. Calling it passive admiration or just a near-obsession with having your favorite breed of bird is a wish of many. Amongst many beautiful breeds, African Grey has always had its special place. Einstein with feathers wouldn’t be a wrong description for these highly intelligent parrots.
With a wish to keep one, it’s very important to tame it right and take care of it. African greys not only have the capacity for extensive learning but they also play and love to wander around. These are amongst the liveliest parrots and need ample room in their cage to live in their best state.
Despite their beautiful appearance and mention of a short tail they still need the capacious cage to keep them stimulated in order to avoid boredom in them, which may lead to feather picking.
Features To Look For In A Cage For This Grey Beauty With The Brain:
If African Grey is what you’ve thought of having as your feathery pal and you are looking for a new cage that fits best in your house for it then there are many things that may come across your mind.
If it’s big enough to accommodate the parrot, the material, cost, and much more.
The following are just a few factors that one may look into when planning to buy their grey beauty cage:
- Material: it’s important to look into the material it’s made of as often the birds chirp the cage with their beak and might choke to broken pieces. Also if it’s made of low-quality plastic it may not hold up the bird.
- Space: considering the playful nature of African Grey parrots, one shall always look for a cage that is spacious enough for it to wander around, or else it may lead to feather picking.
- Food tray: an easily accessible food tray shall be installed in the cage that you are looking for, so that the bird may be fed easily. Slide-out trays are easy to clean and fill in.
- Portability: one doesn’t want to keep a living beauty caged in a corner, in order to be able to place it in different places around the house the cage shall be light enough to move around but not so that it can’t handle the bird’s flaps.
- Locking mechanism: all parrots are creative and considering this particular species, we don’t want the bird to fly away thus the locking mechanism shall be smarter than the bird itself.
- Cost: buying a costly beautiful African grey is one cash out then the other is its maintenance, food and cage and vaccinations, and more.
- Airy: captivating is one thing but suffocating is another, you still want the bird to feel free thus the cage shall be airy enough for it to breathe and not get gagged
5 Best Cage For African Grey Parrot – Buying Guide
After coming across these features there is a certainty that you wish to get your hands on the best of the best cage to accommodate your African grey parrot with comfort. With many good options being served out in the market, the following are some of the best options for you to consider:
|Yaheetech 69-inch Wrought Iron Rolling Large Parrot Bird Cage for African Grey Small Quaker Amazon Parrot Cockatiel Sun Parakeet Green Cheek Conure Dove Lovebird Budgie Play Top Bird Cage with Stand||More Info|
|VIVOHOME 30 Inch Height Wrought Iron Bird Cage with Rolling Stand for Parrots Conure Lovebird Cockatiel||More Info|
|YAHEETECH 52-inch Wrought Iron Standing Large Flight King Bird Cage for Cockatiels African Grey Quaker Amazon Sun Parakeets Green Cheek Conures Pigeons Small Parrot Bird Cage Birdcage with Stand||More Info|
|MidWest Deluxe Critter Nation Double Unit Small Animal Cage (Model 162)||More Info|
|Prevue Pet Products Wrought Iron Select Bird Cage Black Hammertone 3151BLK, 18'' x 18'' x 57''||More Info|
1- Yaheetech 69-inch Wrought Iron Rolling Large Parrot Bird Cage:
From amongst the best cages to accommodate an African grey parrot it is one of the most reliable buys that is coated with wrought iron powder which may not be harmful to your bird and the bar spacing are 5/8” which is good for its climbing activities and entertainment within the cage. The size of the cage is 28 inches wide and 49” high which is an ideal size for the bird to be relaxed inside.
Features of African Grey Parrot Cage:
- Overall Dimensions of this cage are 36” Wide, 30” Deep, and 61” High
- Height of the play top: 24” W x 22” D x 13” H
- Cage Dimensions with stand: 28”Wx 22”Dx 61”H
- Has 4 Seed Skirts
- Removable Bottom Grid 1 Metal Tray that’s easy to clean
- 1 Nest Box Door
- 4 Feed Doors that provide easy feeding
- 4 20oz Stainless Steel Cups (4” diameter) for Inside Cage
- 2 – 20oz Stainless Steel Cups (4” diameter) for Play top
- 2 Perches (a play on top and inside the cage)
- 4 Casters
2- VIVOHOME 30 Inch Height Wrought Iron Bird Cage:
It is a fine-looking, capacious cage with pleasant white color and wrought iron powder coating that makes it more appealing to buy.
It has a high stand that can be placed well anywhere. It also has a waste tray made of steel at the bottom in order to avoid rust. The locking system is quite sane and it is one of the best options at a very good price.
Features Of African Grey Cage:
- Bar Spacing: 5/8” that doesn’t allow the bird to pass-through
- Overall Dimensions: 32” W x 30” D x 64” H(With Seed Skirt)
- Interior Dimensions without stand: 24” Wx22” Dx31” H
- Height of the play top: 24” Wx22” Dx13” H
- 4 Seed Skirts
- Removable Bottom Grid 2 Metal Tray for easy cleaning
- 1 Nest Box Door
- 4 Feed Doors that make easy feeding possible
- 4 20oz Stainless Steel Cups (4 inches diameter) for Inside Cage
- 2 – 20oz Stainless Steel Cups (4 inches diameter) for Play top
- 2 Perches (play on top and inside the cage)
- 4 Casters
Must Read: Most Common African Grey Diseases – Guide
3- YAHEETECH 52-inch Wrought Iron Standing Large Flight King Bird Cage:
This is a compact-looking spacious cage with very good quality. It’s easy to move around and be placed anywhere due to its long stand. The waste tray that comes with it is easy to clean up as it slides out and the play area in it is quite interesting on the top. The locking mechanism of the cage is unique and promising.
Features of African Grey Cage by Best Choice:
- Non-toxic coated finish safe for bird
- Durable metal material
- Wire bars to secure large birds
- The mainframe is made of strong and steady metal
- Open pyramid top play area with ladder
- 2 stainless steel bowls and a perch
- Large steel front door with snapping lock 3
- Feeder doors with locks for easy feeding
- 3 interior stainless steel feeding bowls for dry/wet food and water.
- 1 long wooden perch to rest inside the cage
- Metal upper removable sliding tray for easy cleaning
- Great lower removable sliding for easy cleaning
- 4 strong swivel casters with 2 locks for mobility and firmness
- Dimensions: 24”x22”x37.5”
- Bar spacing: ¾” and thickness (3, 4, and 5) mm
4- MidWest Deluxe Critter Nation Double Unit Small Animal Cage:
It’s one of the best cages to accommodate medium-sized birds like African Grey. It is a great option at a good price with very fine quality. What’s best is that it is easy to clean as it comes with a slide tray for hassle-free maintenance. It may be placed anywhere, as it’s not so large but spacious at the same time. It may be a great option for your bird and you may add some toys to it to keep your grey entertained.
Features of MidWest Deluxe Critter Nation Double Unit Small Animal Cage:
- The overall dimensions of this cage are 166cm x 65cm x 55cm
- Slide-out the bottom tray
- Comes with 2 stainless steel feeder bowls
- Bar width is 12mm
- The main door opens outwards thus the birds can’t escape
- Seed catcher tray that may or may not be installed on the wish
- Easy top opening
- Secure and parrot proof
- Beautiful design with a curved top
5- Prevue Pet Products Wrought Iron Bird Cage 3151BLK:
It is an extremely high-quality cage for your beautiful bird at a great cost. It’s very easy to put together and needs no extra craftsmanship help. It is very sturdy and pet-proof, if one is looking for a nice-looking easy to clean cage then this is it.
Features of Prevue Pet Wrought Iron Bird Cage:
- High quality due to wrought iron
- Comes with 4 stainless steel cups
- Round seed guards are also installed
- The push-button locking mechanism is a heavy-duty factor
- Coated with non-toxic powder to finish
- Durable construction and quite spacious
- Easy to clean
Read More: 12 Things Parrots Would Love to Eat?
After practically buying the parrot ones, the next largest expense on the priority checklist shall be its cage. As it is your beloved parrot’s home, whose comfort and safety is now your job if you bought one. One shall get the biggest yet appropriate cage considering the species you own.
It’s always good to put in some toys for entertainment, as parrots are also very quick with getting bored. One important thing that needs to be stressed out on when keeping a bird pet is that it might end up with feather picking if not taken care of, thus it’s important to keep all aspects in mind when buying your pet’s new home.